We are so grateful for your interest in volunteering at Hope Acts. Here are some of the areas where we rely on the generosity of community members like you:
- Become a Hope House Mentor– We match Hope House residents with Americans from the greater Portland community to develop one-to-one relationships that help asylum seekers learn about our community and culture. Each mentor-mentee relationship is unique, based on the needs and interests of both parties.
- Do you speak French or Portuguese? Lingala or other African Language?– Would you be willing to assist as a translator? For French speakers, you are welcome to join our French/English potluck dinners (suspended during COVID)
- Provide one-on-one assistance to asylum seekers in our Asylum Seeker Assistance Program. Experience is great, but we can train you to be a work permit volunteer or to assist clients needing to access basic needs.
- Facilities, Garden and transportation – Are you handy around the house? Willing to paint a room or two? Do you like to garden? Can you make a run to the dump or help a Hope House resident when they move to their own apartment?
- Interested in the Hope House English Language Program (HHELP)? Volunteers teach classes, serve on the HHELP Steering Committee and assist with administrative tasks.
- Become a housing mentor - Would you like to help a new asylum seeker/family be successful in their first apartment? Consider becoming a housing mentor.
Please let us know your interest in volunteering for Hope acts by filling out this form.
Or if you prefer, please call our office at 207-274-6005 or 207-228-1140 to discuss volunteer opportunities.