The work of Hope Acts is made possible by a supportive and ever expanding network of volunteers who contribute both our Recovery/Wellness and Immigrant Support programming. For those looking to get involved, here are some ways to plug in:
- Lead a one-time or ongoing program – If you have a skill or service you’d like to share with Hope Acts constituents, reach out to us with a proposal, and we’ll discuss the possibilities! Examples from the past include a music group where folks play instruments & sing together, or an informal art class that explores trauma healing via creative expression.
- Transition Support – We are trying to develop a listserv of “as needed” volunteers who would be willing to lend driving skills, vehicle access, and/or muscle to help move residents’ belongings who are transitioning out of Hope House and into independent apartments.
- Event Support – If you’re interested in making a small time commitment that can have a big impact, we are looking for folks to help with event set-up and cleanup, as well as volunteers to chat with people about Hope Acts & hand out literature during various tabling opportunities. This could also include volunteering for our annual benefit as an usher, passing hors d’oeuvres, assisting with our silent auction, etc.
- Become a Hope House Mentor – We match Hope House residents with Americans from the greater Portland community to develop one-to-one relationships of support and mutual transformation. Find more information & a program-specific application here.
- Volunteer with HHELP – If you have a background in Teaching English as a Second or Other Language (TESOL) or English tutoring with immigrants, consider contacting the Manager of the Hope House English Language Program (HHELP) to set up an initial conversation. Email Diane Haley at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 207-274-6005.
- Lend Your Language Skills – We often have a need for help translating simple documents, or other needs to bridge the language differences between staff, English-only community members, and multilingual Hope House residents. If you have an interest in donating some of your time and talent, send a message to the Coordinator for Immigrant Support. Common languages in use at Hope House are French, Portuguese, American Sign Language, as well as multiple African languages and dialects.
If your interests fit any of these options, please call 207-613-5052 for more information.