Hope Acts is seeking an EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The mission of Hope Acts is to improve the quality of life for persons of Greater Portland by addressing needs for healthy living, housing security, and a hopeful economic future, and to strengthen neighborhoods to become safe places of hospitality, hope and healing for all people.
Part-time: 25 hours per week
Reports to: Board of Directors
Hope Acts, a 501(c)(3) organization serving immigrants seeking asylum and individuals in recovery from addiction, seeks a well-organized, innovative and self-directed individual with a demonstrated track record of success to lead Hope Acts and advance its mission. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate significant past success in growing a small non-profit programmatically, diversifying and expanding its sources of revenue, and in working closely with both a part-time staff of four (whom the Executive Director will supervise), and a committed, active Board of Directors. In addition, the successful candidate must be able to thrive in an environment requiring prioritizing and juggling of competing demands with very limited resources, and must possess excellent communications and interpersonal skills in working with program participants, board and other volunteers, colleagues, and members of the public.
Summary of primary job functions
The Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for establishing and executing the organization’s major goals and objectives.
- In conjunction with program staff, provide leadership, direction and guidance for Hope Acts’ programs and activities.
- Raise necessary funds to reach the organization’s financial goals.
- Represent Hope Acts to the community, civic organizations, community partners, elected officials, donors, media and the general public.
Roles and Responsibilities
General/Board of Directors:
- In consultation with board of directors, identify and recruit potential board and committee members.
- Execute board-approved policies.
- Prepare agenda and attend all board meetings.
- Helps create, direct and oversee short and long term strategic plans.
- Develop fundraising strategies to ensure the success of fundraising campaigns and activities, working closely with the Board’s Development Committee.
- Be primarily responsible for individual and business donor cultivation, actively soliciting donors through annual appeals, events, face to face meetings and other activities, in order to significantly expand the number and size of these donations.
- Oversee all aspects of the organization’s grant funding program.
- Ensure donor information is updated and maintained.
Immigrant Support and Recovery & Wellness Programs
In conjunction with the Program Coordinators, continually revise and improve the program to reflect and respond to constituent needs.
- Supervise staff to ensure constituents’ needs are being met.
- In conjunction with program staff, create, modify, and ensure measurements and outcomes of the programs.
- Increase awareness of Hope Acts through outreach, networking, involvement with other community organizations, and presentations to community partners, funders, elected officials and businesses.
- Work with staff to develop and maintain a team of volunteers to support Hope Acts programs.
Business Operations and Administration
- Oversee office operations.
- Responsible for budgeting and financial management.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and success in:
- Development and outreach in a nonprofit organization or comparable setting.
- Nonprofit management.
- Staff supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience working with the immigrant and/or recovery communities strongly preferred.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter by email to Jennifer Dimond, Board President: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
To ensure full consideration, application must be received by 5:00 pm on February 15, 2017. Ideally the successful candidate will be available to begin in early April.